- In 1885 Prof. Kittler started with the first lecture “Lighting Technology”, in accord with the first applications of electric lighting of buildings and roads. Lectures on Lighting Technology were held continuously by well-known Professors .
- The Laboratory of Lighting Technology at Darmstadt University was founded by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Paul Jainski. He gave the first lectures during the summer term in 1956. Traffic Lighting was a main topic of the lectures. The laboratory is globally renowned in the field of automotive lighting.
- From 1956 until 2003 the laboratory was led by Prof. Jainski and by Prof. Schmidt-Clausen. The PAL symposium (Progress in Automotive Lighting) was recognised as the forum for scientific developments in the automotive lighting industry from 1995 until 2003.
- From 2003 to 2006 the lab was led by Prof. H.-F. Schlaak. In 2004, a consortium was established for total financing of the laboratory of lighting technology for a duration of 5 years (2006-2011). Osram, Philips, Audi , BMW, Daimler-Benz, Opel (GM) , Valeo, Hella, Automotive Lighting, ZKW, Schefenacker, and Genthe were the initial consortium participants; Visteon and Koito will join in 2010.
- Since 2006, the laboratory is now led by Pr Khanh.
TUD facilitates and teaches research In optoelectronics, automotive lighting, technical optics, human eye physiology, and energy efficient lighting. There are studies and courses in lighting technologies, student seminars, and PhD preparation services, as well as industry seminars and a robust, coördinated assortment of coöperative ventures with the automotive industry.